So after wasting a few hours, I learned that I am missing two components in Windows 2008 R2.
- Installing IIS server does not automatically install ASP.NET. Actually this does not only apply to Windows 2008. Other OSs like Windows 7 also requires to install ASP.NET after installing IIS.
- How to setup ASP.NET
Run C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>aspnet_regiis.exe -i
Run C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319>aspnet_regiis.exe -i
- Add Application Server role in Windows 2008 R2. This requires only in Windows 2008 and above.
- How to add Application Server
- Open [Server Manager]
- RightClick [Roles] and click [Add Roles]
- Choose [Application Server] in the Wizard.